Along with local labour groups and politicians, members of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, Canada’s largest federal public sector union, will rally and speak out against federal government cuts at family-friendly events in Grandview Park in Vancouver and Bear Creek Park in Surrey.
As part of a National Day of Action, held across the country, members of PSAC will be talking to the public about the impact federal cuts have on services Canadians rely on.
They will highlight how cuts are hurting seniors, the unemployed, veterans and new Canadians; how cuts at CFIA are putting food safety at risk; how cuts to search and rescue are putting lives at risk, and how cuts to protection and monitoring of fish habitat, and cuts to scientific research are putting the environment at risk.
What: Rally for Public Services, an informative, fun event including an information table, games and prizes for the public, and guest speakers
When: 11AM - 2PM, rally program to begin at 12:30PM
Where: GrandviewPark, Commercial Driveat Charles St, Vancouver
Who: Speakers scheduled for 12:30PM include
- Kennedy Stewart, MP for Burnaby-Douglas
- Chris Aylward, National Vice President, Public Service Allianceof Canada
- Irene Lanzinger, Secretary-Treasurer, BC Federation of Labour
- Jacquie de Aguayo, Hospital Employees Union
- Joey Hartman, President, Vancouver & District Labour Council
What: Solidarity BBQ, family-friendly events and guest speakers
When: 11AM - 2PM, rally program to begin at 12:00PM
Where: BearCreekPark, 88th and King George Boulevard, Surrey
Who: Speakers scheduled for 12:00PMinclude
- Jasbir Sandhu, MP for Surrey North
- Laurie Mayhew, New Westminster & District Labour Council
- Federal public sector workers who have been affected by cutbacks
For more information: Patrick Bragg, PSAC Communications, cell: 778 889 3486