MP Romeo Saganash tabled Bill C-262 to ensure that the laws of Canada respect the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Romeo spent 23 years at the United Nations negotiating the Declaration which was endorsed by Canada in 2010. This is the second time that he has tabled a bill of this nature: in the previous Parliament, his bill was fully endorsed by his party. The Liberals and Greens also voted in favour. The Prime Minister has stipulated that implementation of the UN Declaration is a priority for his government.
A second reading in the House of Commons is scheduled for December 4, 2017.
Invited guests include
• Romeo Saganash, NDP MP for Abitibi—Baie-James—Nunavik—Eeyou (Québec)
• Rueben George, Tsleil-Waututh Nation
• Ian Campbell, Squamish Nation
• Debra Sparrow, Musqueam Nation
• Stewart Phillip, Union of BC Indian Chiefs
• Fay Blaney, Xwemalhkwu Nation
• Colin Braker, First Nations Summit
• Terry Teegee, British Columbia Assembly of First Nations
• Kory Wilson, We Wai Kai Nation
• Andrea Riemer, Vancouver Deputy Mayor
• Melanie Mark, NDP MLA Vancouver-Mount Pleasant
• Jenny Kwan, NDP MP Vancouver East
• Tina House, APTN
With your voice and collaboration, we will raise awareness and gain support for Indigenous human rights and Bill C-262.