The 8th Triennial PSAC BC Region Convention will be held in Vancouver May 1-3, 2020 at the Pinnacle Hotel Vancouver Harbourfront. In advance of the official convention call, we would like to provide Branches, Locals, Regional Committees and Area Councils with some preliminary information and timelines.
In accordance with Resolution CS-51A, which was passed at the 2018 National Triennial Convention, all PSAC Regional Triennial Conventions will be fully funded.
Here are some important dates that members in BC should be aware of.
- Regional Convention – May 1, 2, 3 2020
- Delegate Names due in REVP office – December 31, 2019
- Resolutions Deadline – December 31, 2019
- Convention Call and delegate allocations confirmed – November 1, 2019
Branches and Locals
We encourage Branches and Locals to start planning to hold elections for delegates according to the applicable Branch or Local bylaws.
The formula to be used for delegate entitlement is as follows: each Branch or Local will be eligible for one (1) delegate per 215 members, or portion thereof (not including RANDs). This will be based on the best month of the last twelve (12) months, using membership numbers supplied by the staff in the Membership Section in Ottawa.
Travel and Accommodation
All travel and accommodation for delegates will be booked by PSAC BC. It is critically important that all delegates names be provided to the REVP office by the December 31, 2019 deadline.
Travel and accommodation will be booked in accordance with the PSAC Travel Policy and all delegates will be entitled to stay in residence at the venue should they wish.
Committees will have received a memo from National President Chris Aylward dated March 6, 2019 in regard to what constitutes an active committee. Only committees which meet these criteria will be eligible to send delegates to the 2020 Convention:
- Meeting a minimum of four times per year
- Minutes of committee meetings forwarded to the appropriate REVP within thirty days of the meeting;
- Annual budget and financial statements prepared and submitted to the appropriate REVP for approval;
- Committee has a realistic but engaging plan of action;
- Committee engages in regular communications regarding their meetings and activities, informing and inviting members to join their events;
- Active within PSAC, broader labour movement, and community campaigns and actions;
- Active on their Area Council and allied with their Regional Council, other regional committees (PSAC and the broader labour movement), labour councils, and coalition groups. It should be noted that attendance by regional committee member(s) at meetings of another committee/group does not count towards the requirement of that regional committee to meet four times per year.
- Active to their applicable regional and national PSAC conferences and events.
Delegates shall be allocated as follows to those Committees and Area Councils which meet the criteria above:
- Each active Area Council shall be entitled to elect one (1) delegate;
- Each active Regional Women’s Committee shall be entitled to elect one (1) delegate;
- Each active Regional Human Rights shall be entitled to elect one (1) delegate;
- Two (2) elected regional National Aboriginal Peoples’ Circle representatives shall be delegates;
- Each active Regional Young Workers Committee shall be entitled to elect (1) delegate.
Regional Committees should begin to start planning to hold elections for delegates according to the respective bylaws.
Component National Officers shall be delegates in the region in which they live or work. Members of the NBoD and full time Component Vice-Presidents shall be entitled to delegate status in the caucus in which they have elected to participate.
A limited amount of observer seats will be available depending on the convention space. All expenses (travel, accommodation, etc.) will be the responsibility of the observer.
Please contact Kim Nguyen with any questions. She can be reached by email at NguyenK@psac-afpc.com