Violence against women continues to be a serious issue in Canada
- It is estimated that 60% of Canadian women have suffered from physical or psychological violence at some time in their life.
- In 2007, nearly 40,200 incidents of spousal violence were reported to police. This represents about 12% of all police-reported violent crime in Canada.
- Between April 1, 2007 and March 31, 2008, approximately 101,000 women and children were admitted to 569 shelters in Canada.
- Lobby the federal and provincial governments to ensure adequate funding to transition houses and emergency shelters.
- Donate to your local women’s shelter.
- Attend one of the following events in your community