To: Locals and Branches in BC.
PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s Conference “Empowering Each Other – Moving Forward to Move Up”
July 12, 2016
Dear Sisters & Brothers
Please accept this request for a Basket Donation for the upcoming PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s Conference under the theme “Empowering Each Other – Moving Forward to Move Up” which will be held September 23-25, 2016.
We would be grateful if your local/branch/DCL could donate a basket which will be raffled to raise funds for a local women’s organization.
- Violence against women – particularly intimate partner violence and sexual violence – are major public health problems and violations of women’s human rights.
- Recent global prevalence figures indicate that about 1 in 3 (35%) of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.
- Most of this violence is intimate partner violence. Worldwide, almost one third (30%) of women who have been in a relationship report that they have experienced some form of physical and/or sexual violence by their intimate partner.
- Globally, as many as 38% of murders of women are committed by an intimate partner.
- Violence can negatively affect women’s physical, mental, sexual and reproductive health, and may increase vulnerability to HIV.
- Factors associated with increased risk of perpetration of violence include low education, child maltreatment or exposure to violence in the family, harmful use of alcohol, attitudes accepting of violence and gender inequality.
- Factors associated with increased risk of experiencing intimate partner and sexual violence include low education, exposure to violence between parents, abuse during childhood, attitudes accepting violence and gender inequality.
- In low-income settings, primary prevention strategies, such as microfinance combined with gender equality training and community-based initiatives that address gender inequality and relationship skills, hold promise.
Your donation will help an organization to continue their efforts in supporting and providing essential services to Women.
Every basket that is donated will make a difference. All contributions are most appreciated.
If your local/branch is able to assist us with a basket donation in our endeavour to help a women’s organizations, you can deliver the basket or donation to the PSAC Regional Office in your area by September 15, 2016. If you do not have a PSAC Regional Office in your area, you can send the basket with your local Regional Women’s Chair.
PSAC BC Women’s Coordinator
On behalf of Conference Organizing Committee
PS: If your local can make a $75 donation, the committee can prepare the basket on your behalf. All donations are welcome and will be recognised at the conference. Cheques should be made payable to Public Service Alliance of Canada with a note that its for the Regional Womens Conference basket donation.