- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, August 5, 2016 (apply early – space is limited)
- CONFERENCE DATES: September 23 – 25, 2016
- CONFERENCE LOCATION: Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel 7551 Westminster Highway, Richmond
*** NOTE: There is a different callout and application form for the PSAC National Equity Conference (PSAC National Women’s Conference) being held in March 2017***
The Registration Package available below includes:
- Introduction/Callout Letter and Application Form, online here or download a .pdf below
- The online application is available here (the application deadline is now past)- please complete all sections
We are pleased to be providing you this Registration Package for the 2016 PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s Conference, which will be held Friday, September 23 to Sunday, September 25, 2016 at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, in Richmond, B.C.
We encourage you to personally inform PSAC Sisters in your area to ensure they are made aware of this conference. Bulletin boards may not always be accessible and additional outreach is important.
This registration package is available upon request in alternative formats through the PSAC Regional Office by contacting us at 604-430-5631 or toll-free in B.C. 1-800-663-1655.
The objectives of the 2016 PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s Conference are to:
- To broaden the base of activists and build representative women’s committees, including reaching out to women who belong to the diverse equity seeking groups and to younger members;
- To develop a coordinated action plan dealing with local, regional and national priorities on women’s issues;
- To discuss and develop strategies to better help protect and support our sisters who are victims of domestic violence, building on the outcomes of the Women’s Forum on Domestic Violence;
- To play a key role to sustain and advance the PSAC Pan-Canadian campaign on Child care
PSAC B.C. Region sisters will gather and have the opportunity to strengthen the PSAC Women’s Program at the regional level under the theme “Empowering Each Other – Moving Forward to Move Up”. By reaching out, creating stronger connections and empowering each other collectively, we build our regional women’s committees, generate and rejuvenate activists and mobilize to create social change. Workshops are currently being developed that will educate participants on strategies to better protect and support sisters who are victims of domestic violence and the impact of domestic violence in our workplaces; and to identify the union’s role in advancing the PSAC Pan-Canadian campaign on childcare.
As domestic violence is a major topic at the conference, the PSAC is committed to maintaining a safe space for all participants. Support workers will be on hand in case Sisters are triggered by the topics discussed.
The conference will begin on Friday, September 23 at 6:00 pm (with registration from 5:00 – 6:00 pm). A light supper will be provided that evening (from 6:00 – 6:45 p.m.) followed by an interactive presentation on Women in Labour History from 6:45 – 8:30 p.m. All participants are required to attend the Friday evening event.
Registration will begin again on Saturday morning from 8:00 – 8:30 a.m. and the opening of the conference will be at 8:30 a.m. The conference will conclude on Sunday, September 25 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Those members in travel status for this conference, as per the PSAC Travel Policy, will travel to Vancouver on Friday, and depart after 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 25.
This conference is fully funded for delegates, and there is no registration fee.
During the conference, and at all events associated with the conference, the PSAC Anti-Harassment, Smoke-free Environment and Scent-free Environment policies will be in effect. Please refrain from using scented products of any type.
SELECTION OF DELEGATES
If you are selected as a delegate to this conference, you will be advised by email and/or telephone. It is important that you provide contact information that you will have access to during the month of August 2016.
FUNDING FOR DELEGATES
All selected delegates will be reimbursed loss of salary for the days that they are normally scheduled to work during the conference.
Delegates from Vancouver Island, the Interior, Okanagan, North and for all other locations including Abbotsford and east of Abbotsford, will be considered in travel status which means the following costs will be covered:
- travel costs, including ground transportation (please use the complimentary airport shuttle);
- hotel accommodation costs at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel;
- per diem for meals (except those provided);
- incidental costs;
- parking is complimentary.
All other delegates will be considered to not be in travel status and will be reimbursed as follows:
- For Friday evening, they will be reimbursed for transportation to and from the venue (e.g. kilometric rate or transit), (Note: Dinner will be provided and parking is complimentary).
- For the Saturday and Sunday they will be entitled to claim a $50 per day allowance.
Deadline to apply: FRIDAY, AUGUST 5, 2016 Apply early – space is limited
For further information or assistance: Call the PSAC Vancouver Regional Office at 604-430-5631 or toll-free in B.C. at 1-800-663-1655. If after hours, leave a message and someone will get back to you.
We look forward to the upcoming PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s conference.
Please consult the PSAC B.C. Region website www.psacbc.com periodically as information will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
Thank you for your cooperation and support.
Bob Jackson, Regional Executive Vice President, BC
Virginia Vaillancourt, B.C. Regional Council Women’s Coordinator