2020 PSAC B.C. Regional Conference for Racially Visible Members “Building our Power for Change: Equity for All”
To: PSAC Locals/Branches in the B.C. Region
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, January 17, 2020, 4 p.m. PT
- CONFERENCE DATES: Friday-Sunday, February 28, 29, & March 1, 2020
- CONFERENCE LOCATION: Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, 7551 Westminster Highway, Richmond
This Registration Package includes:
- Introduction/Callout Letter
- Online Application Form
We are pleased to provide you with this Registration Package for the 2020 PSAC B.C. Regional Conference for Racially Visible Members, which will be held Friday, February 28 to Sunday, March 1, 2020, at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, in Richmond, B.C.
We encourage you to personally inform PSAC Racially Visible members in your area to ensure they are aware of this conference. Bulletin boards may not always be accessible and additional outreach is important.
This registration package, including a paper application, is available upon request in alternative formats through the PSAC Vancouver Regional Office by contacting us at 604-430-5631 or toll-free in B.C. at 1-800-663-1655.
The objectives of the 2020 PSAC B.C. Regional Conference for Racially Visible Members are to:
- Develop strategies to work across workplaces, locals, regions, and components to build partnerships, coalitions, and networks for advocacy;
- Broaden the base of activists by recruiting, training, and mobilizing new and less engaged racialized members, such as young workers and those from equity seeking groups, in political action, campaigning, bargaining, representation and generally, advocating for workers’ and human rights;
- Identify political priorities for PSAC racialized members and empowering them to advance our goals; and
- Contribute to the development of a PSAC policy to address systemic racism.
PSAC B.C. Racially Visible members will gather and have the opportunity to strengthen the PSAC at the regional level under the theme, “Building our Power for Change: Equity for All”.
There will be a session on the PSAC’s policy to address systemic racism its different forms and ways to address it through the workplace, our union, and our communities.
Other activities are still being planned for the Conference and further updates will be provided as they are confirmed.
The conference will begin on Friday, February 28 at 1:30 p.m. with registration from 12 (noon) – 1:30 pm. Friday’s program will run until approximately 8:00 p.m. These are considered conference hours and are required attendance for conference delegates.
The conference will continue on Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m until 4:30 p.m. and on Sunday, March 1 from 9 a.m. concluding at 12 p.m. (noon). Those members in travel status for this conference, as per the PSAC Travel Policy, will travel to Vancouver on Friday, and depart after 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 1.
This conference is fully funded for delegates and there is no registration fee.
FUNDING FOR DELEGATES
Delegates that reside within 60 kilometres of the venue:
- Will be entitled to claim loss of salary for Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if normally scheduled to work)
- Will be entitled to claim a $50 per day allowance for Saturday and Sunday to cover the cost of travel and meals
- Hotel parking is complimentary
- Hotel accommodation will not be provided
Delegates that reside more than 60 kilometres from the venue will be considered as in travel status which means the following costs will be covered:
- Will be entitled to salary for Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if normally scheduled to work)
- Travel costs, including ground transportation;
- Meal and incidental allowances (except those provided) as per the PSAC Travel Policy;
- Hotel accommodation costs at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel;
- Hotel parking is complimentary
ACCOMMODATION FOR DISABILITIES
The PSAC Accommodation Policy strives to ensure that PSAC events are barrier-free for members with disabilities.
The objective of the PSAC Family Care Policy is to remove one of the barriers which prevents delegates from participating fully in Union activities and which provides for the reimbursement of family care expenses. A copy of the policy is available on the PSAC website at www.psacunion.ca/family-care-policy.
On-site childcare is intended to remove a barrier to a delegate’s ability to participate at the summit and is provided only for those who could not otherwise attend, had the service not been available. Requests must be received no later than January 17, 2020.
PSAC POLICIES: ANTI-HARASSMENT, SCENT-FREE AND SMOKE-FREE ENVIRONMENT
During the Conference, and at all events associated with the Conference, the PSAC Anti-Harassment, Smoke-free Environment and Scent-free Environment policies will be in effect. Please refrain from using scented products of any type.
SELECTION OF DELEGATES
If you are selected as a delegate to this Conference, you will be advised by email and/or telephone. It is important that you provide contact information that you will have access to during the month of January 2020. The deadline to apply is FRIDAY, JANUARY 17, 2020, 4 p.m. PT – online application is available here.
For further information or assistance: Call the PSAC Vancouver Regional Office at 604-430-5631 or toll-free in B.C. at 1-800-663-1655 or email email@example.com. Leave a voicemail or email message and someone will get back to you.
We look forward to the upcoming PSAC B.C. Regional Conference for Racially Visible members.
Thank you for your cooperation and support.
Jamey Mills, PSAC BC Regional Executive Vice-President, BC
Stephen Torng, PSAC BC Regional Council Racially Visible Equity Coordinator