Queer Solidarity in the Face of Adversity
To: PSAC Locals/Branches in the B.C. Region
- Summit details: May 3-5, 2024 (in-person event)
- Conference location: Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, 6083 McKay Ave, Burnaby, BC V5H 2W7
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 15, 2024, 5 PM Pacific Time Zone
We are pleased to inform members that the 2024 PSAC BC 2SLGBTQIA+ Summit will be held in person from Friday, May 3 through Sunday, May 5, 2024.
All participants are expected to attend the full Summit.
More information about travel and loss of salary will be available as part of the full participant’s package, which you will receive on confirmation of registration.
We encourage you to personally inform PSAC 2SLGBTQIA+ members in your area to ensure they are made aware of this Summit. In workplaces where members continue to work from home, please share with your contacts or ask to post the information on the Union’s electronic bulletin board (if there is one at your workplace).
PSAC BC 2SLGBTQIA+ members will gather to meet, build, encourage, and show solidarity across the PSAC 2SLGBTQIA+ community in BC under the theme “Queer Solidarity in the Face of Adversity”.
The objectives of the 2024 PSAC BC 2SLGBTQIA+ Summit are to:
- Meet and network with 2SLGBTQIA+ PSAC members at the first BC regional summit;
- Build the PSAC BC 2SLGBTQIA+ Caucus both in number and province-wide representation;
- Encourage 2SLGBTQIA+ PSAC BC members to actively participate in their geographic PSAC Human Rights Committees; and
- Show solidarity across the 2SLGBTQIA+ community and take action in support.
The Summit Organizing Committee is working hard on inviting engaging speakers, offering relevant and action-oriented workshops and other additional activities. We hope to share this information as it is confirmed during the weeks of the application process.
The Summit will begin Friday, May 3, 2024 at 1:00 PM at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown with registration taking place from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. The Summit will recess for the day at 5:00 PM.
The Summit will continue Saturday morning at 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM and reconvene on Sunday at 9:00 AM. The Summit will adjourn 12:00 PM on Sunday, May 5.
Participants who reside within 80 kilometres of the venue:
- Will be entitled to claim loss of salary for Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if normally scheduled to work). There will be no overtime compensation;
- If not working, will also be entitled to claim a $50 per day allowance (or actual cost if higher) for Saturday and Sunday to cover the cost of travel (including self-parking) and meals;
- Hotel accommodation will not be provided.
Participants who reside more than 80 kilometres from the venue will be considered as in travel status, which means the following costs will be covered:
- Will be entitled to salary for Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if normally scheduled to work). There will be no overtime compensation;
- Travel costs, including ground transportation;
- Meal and incidental allowances (except those provided) as per the PSAC Travel Policy;
- Hotel accommodation costs at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown Hotel;
- Hotel self-parking. Participants must register their vehicle license plate with the hotel.
Accommodation for disabilities
The PSAC Accommodation Policy strives to ensure that PSAC events are barrier-free for members with disabilities. Once selected as a participant, members will be asked to specify their accommodation needs to facilitate their participation at the PSAC BC Regional 2SLGBTQIA+ Summit.
The objective of the PSAC Family Care Policy is to remove one of the barriers which prevents participants from attending Union activities and which provides for the reimbursement of family care expenses. A copy of the policy is available on the PSAC website here.
On-site childcare is intended to remove a barrier to a participant’s ability to attend at the conference and is provided only for those who could not otherwise attend, had the service not been available. Requests must be received no later than Friday, March 15, 2024 at the time of application.
PSAC policies: anti-harassment, scent-free and smoke-free environment
During the Summit, and at all events associated with the Summit, the PSAC Anti-Harassment, Smoke-free Environment and Scent-free Environment policies will be in effect. Please refrain from using scented products of any type.
Selection of Participants
If you are selected as a participant to this Summit, you will be advised by email and/or telephone call. Please ensure you provide us with your contact coordinates that you will have access to during the months of March and April 2024.
We look forward to having 2SLGBTQIA+ members in the PSAC BC Region gather to meet, build, encourage, and show solidarity.
Public Service Alliance of Canada
Regional Executive Vice-President, BC
PSAC BC Regional Council
2SLGBTQIA+ (Pride) Coordinator
Download a printable version of the application form or complete the online form below to submit your application for the 2024 PSAC BC Regional 2SLGBTQIA+ Summit. Printed forms can be submitted by email to UrrutiM@psac-afpc.com.