Inclusive Advocacy for All
To: PSAC Locals/Branches in the B.C. Region
- Summit details: April 5-7, 2024 (in-person event)
- Conference location: Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, 6083 McKay Ave, Burnaby, BC V5H 2W7
- Application Deadline Extended: Monday, January 29, 2024, 5 PM Pacific Time Zone
Thanks for the interest in the 2024 PSAC BC Regional Access (Persons With Disabilities) Summit.
The application period for the Summit has now closed.
We are pleased to inform members that the 2024 PSAC BC Regional Access (Persons With Disabilities) Summit will be held in person from Friday, April 5 through Sunday, April 7, 2024. This Summit is a fully funded event for participants.
All participants are expected to attend the full Summit.
More information about travel and loss of salary will be available as part of the full participant’s package, which you will receive on confirmation of registration.
We encourage you to personally inform PSAC Access (Persons With Disabilities) members in your area to ensure they are made aware of this Summit. In workplaces where members continue to work from home, please share with your contacts or ask to post the information on the Union’s electronic bulletin board (if there is one at your workplace).
The objectives of the 2024 PSAC BC Regional Access Summit are:
- Promoting Inclusivity and Accessibility – share innovative ideas for creating more inclusive and accessible spaces;
- raise awareness of the requirements under the duty to accommodate; and
- Learn about the diversity within the Access (Persons With Disabilities) community.
PSAC BC members of the regional Access (Persons With Disabilities) community will gather to learn, share, and strengthen the PSAC Access program under the theme “Inclusive Advocacy for All.” Participants will take part in training and advocacy development and hear from Access/Disability rights advocates. Additionally, your Organizing Committee has planned several other activities and sessions for the duration of the Summit.
the Summit will begin on Friday, April 5, 2024 at 1:00 PM at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown with registration taking place from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM). We will open the Summit and members will hear from our guest speaker. The Summit will recess at 5:00 PM.
The Summit will continue Saturday and Sunday morning at 9:00 AM. Summit will adjourn on Sunday, April 7 at 12:00 PM.
Participants who reside within 80 kilometres of the venue:
- Will be entitled to claim loss of salary for Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if normally scheduled to work). There will be no overtime compensation;
- If not working, will also be entitled to claim a $50 per day allowance (or actual cost if higher) for Saturday and Sunday to cover the cost of travel (including parking) and meals;
- Hotel accommodation will not be provided.
Participants who reside more than 80 kilometres from the venue will be considered as in travel status, which means the following costs will be covered:
- Will be entitled to salary for Friday (and Saturday and Sunday if normally scheduled to work). There will be no overtime compensation.
- Travel costs, including ground transportation;
- Meal and incidental allowances (except those provided) as per the PSAC Travel Policy;
- Hotel accommodation costs at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown Hotel;
- Hotel self-parking.
Accommodation for disabilities
The PSAC Accommodation Policy strives to ensure that PSAC events are barrier-free for members with disabilities. Once selected as a participant, members will be asked to specify their accommodation needs to facilitate their participation at the Regional Access Summit.
The objective of the PSAC Family Care Policy is to remove one of the barriers which prevents participants from attending Union activities and which provides for the reimbursement of family care expenses. A copy of the policy is available on the PSAC website here.
On-site childcare is intended to remove a barrier to a participant’s ability to attend at the conference and is provided only for those who could not otherwise attend, had the service not been available. Requests must be received no later than Wednesday, January 31, 2024.
PSAC policies: anti-harassment, scent-free and smoke-free environment
During the Summit, and at all events associated with the Summit, the PSAC Anti-Harassment, Smoke-free Environment and Scent-free Environment policies will be in effect. Please refrain from using scented products of any type.
Selection of Participants
If you are selected as a participant to this Summit, you will be advised by email and/or telephone call. Please ensure you provide us with your contact coordinates that you will have access to during the months of February and March 2024.
We look forward to having members of the Access (Persons With Disabilities) community in the PSAC BC Region gather to strengthen the PSAC Access program at the regional and national levels.
Public Service Alliance of Canada
Regional Executive Vice-President, BC
PSAC BC Regional Council
Access (Persons With Disabilities) Coordinator