Friends, Sisters, Brothers, Local Presidents and Executive members,
I encourage you to consider affiliating your Local to the District Labour Council (DLC) in your area. Joining a DLC provides a valuable opportunity for PSAC members to gather with fellow union members to exchange information, extend mutual support, and represent the interests of working people in your community.
Labour Council delegates meet regularly to hear speakers, learn what is important to affiliated unions, debate motions on important issues, and discuss ways to support ongoing campaigns. Local delegates & members are also involved in many other activities, such as:
- strike, picket line, and rally support
- political action and lobbying
- evaluating and endorsing progressive municipal candidates
- International Women’s Day, May Day, and Labour Day events
- education on labour law, economics, public speaking, and other training
- sponsoring music, film, and theatrical performances
- engaging in international solidarity and much more
Voting delegates to are selected/elected from affiliated Locals in accordance with the bylaws of each DLC. The dues rate varies from DLC to DLC, but is generally very reasonable. For example, the dues rate for the Vancouver & District Labour Council is $0.47 per affiliated member per month.
PSAC BC has a subsidy of up to $400/year available to assist Locals to affiliate, and I encourage all Locals to make use of this opportunity. Please contact my office if you would like assistance calculating the number of members your Local has in each DLC’s catchment area.
Help strengthen the voice of labour in British Columbia! Join your local District Labour Council!
Regional Executive Vice President, BC