In the fall of 2020, the PSAC BC Regional Council passed a resolution supporting anti-racism education for PSAC BC members.
We are happy to announce that an in-depth learning opportunity will be delivered in a three-part workshop series beginning on March 31, 2021 with Bakau Consulting (formerly Cicely Blain Consulting).
The workshop series will be open to a maximum of 40 participants, who would be required to attend all three sessions. The 40 participants will develop their skills around anti-oppression and anti-racism and work toward more advanced learning by the end of the series. Each two-hour workshop would take place in the evening, with the subsequent session taking place three weeks later.
All sessions will be held using Zoom. Please note that all selected participants will be responsible for all costs associated with their attendance.
Members in the PSAC BC Region may apply by Monday, March 15, 2021 at 4:00 pm (PST) in order to be considered. Approved applicants will be notified by Friday, March 19, 2021.
- applications are now closed
- Deadline for applications is Monday, March 15, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. (PST)
In depth workshop descriptions can be found at www.cicelyblainconsulting.com/workshops
Session 1: FUNDAMENTALS OF ANTI-OPPRESSION
- Wednesday, March 31, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Fundamentals of anti-oppression dives deeper than your typical diversity and inclusion workshop. In this workshop, participants are given the opportunity to explore systemic oppression, social justice, privilege, identity and allyship through a variety of engaging activities. Through self-reflection, community- based inquiry, lessons from history and collaborative problem solving, participants gain the knowledge and skills to view the world through an anti-oppressive lens.
Session 2: ANTI-RACISM & LESSONS FROM LIBERATION
- Wednesday, April 21, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Anti-Racism and Lessons from Liberation is an immersive and in-depth workshop that exposes our complicity in racist power structures that exist all around us. This workshop is both personal and political: an exploration into bias, systemic oppression, language, cultural appropriation, and intersectionality. Participants gain a deeper understanding of the manifestations of racism from systems of power to workplace microaggressions and most importantly gain the skills to speak up and combat racism in their communities.
Session 3: UNLEARNING ANTI-BLACKNESS
- Wednesday, May 12, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Unlearning Anti-Blackness is a deep dive into unpacking the manifestations of anti-Black racism in our society. The session weaves together key events in Black history, contemporary examples of racism and tangible actions for allies. Unlearning Anti-Blackness explores themes such as cultural appropriation, solidarity, activism, intersectionality, Black and queer identity, microaggressions, intergenerational trauma and transformative justice.