|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for July 2014
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the News
- “Thank a public sector worker, ’cause the minister who leads them won’t.” REVP Bob Jackson’s Editorial on NPSW in the Tyee.
- “Canadians are all affected by cuts to the public sector.” Crystal Warner, BC Regional Council member, in the Georgia Straight.
- “Step-by-step, this government is stripping away the major gains that women have made over the past 30 years.” Robyn Benson in Macleans.
PSAC members in Vancouver and Victoria hit a home run during NPSW – PSAC Area Councils and Locals in Vancouver and Victoria hosted two softball tournaments during National Public Service Week. By all accounts these events were a great success – photos and more at the regional website.
- CFIA – An new collective agreement was reached and ratified after two years with of negotiations with the CFIA. The new contract and resulting pay increases will be applied retroactively to January 2012.
- Canada Revenue Agency – Dates for the Public Interest Commission (PIC) have been set for October – more details.
- Treasury Board – All five Treasury Board teams are meeting with the employer next week and are set to exchange bargaining proposals. Watch for updates at the national website.
- Occupational Group Structure Review – the review for the TC table has begun.
- Parks – Members of PSAC’s Parks bargaining team met in Ottawa the week of July 22, to discuss key issues and prepare to negotiate with their employer. Watch for an update at the national website.
Weekend Course Schedule
Our weekend education schedule has wrapped up for the winter/spring – watch for courses coming in the fall of 2014!
Meetings and Events
PSAC at Community Events – PSAC is hosting info booths at community events across the province over the summer. We’ll be raising the profile of our union, talking to the public and other PSAC members about our work as federal public sector workers, the effects of the cuts and PSAC’s We Are All Affected campaign. These events are always fun, and are a great way to meet your fellow union members and members of the public
Surrey Pride Festival – July 6th – details
Victoria Pride Parade & Festival (PSAC will also be marching in the parade) – July 6th – details –
Fusion Festival, Surrey – July 19,20 – details
We were at Sea Fest in Prince Rupert and Free Day in Vancouver as well as National Aboriginal Day and we hope to see you at the next ones!
Mainland BC Human Rights Committee’s Summer Barbecue – the HRC invites all members in the Lower Mainland to a BBQ at the Vancouver Office, July 9th – details
More information on all of these events at the calendar.
Thanks for reading, <<First Name>>! Summer is finally here!
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc
Do you have news or know of an event that may be of interest to PSAC members? Got feedback on the newsletter? Just want to say hi? Email PSAC